Spending Time With Rosie

We have had several visits with Rosie thus far. It has been pretty shocking to see how fast and dramtic the cancer has affected her. It is heartbreaking to see her so racked with pain and unable to do the things she loves to do. The everyday and mundane tasks of life have become impossible for her, and I believe it is exceedingly frustrating for her to be in this position. Rosie has always been very independent and self-reliant, a rock for other people to lean and depend on. Being a nurse she was the one comforting and ministering to other people hurting and in need. She worked for years on the oncology ward, the cancer ward. Now she is finding herself on the "other side" and I can imagine it is very difficult for her to be in this position.

And for Rosie, as a woman who had so much love and care for other people, I have to wonder if it is difficult to give up that role and let others do the caring. For those beautiful people who are the "givers" rather than the "takers" I suspect it is a difficult role-reversal to find oneself suddenly unable to "give" anymore.

Rosie has been a wonderful mother-in-law to me. She has always been supportive, loving, and never overbearing or demanding. It has been a joy to be her daughter-in-law these past 18 years and I am grateful for such a lovely person in my life. I have enjoyed getting to know her and hear the stories of her life, learning about this person who gave birth to and mothered my husband. I have enjoyed my husband's stories about growing up with his adventurous and lovely mother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swine Flu Amulet, anyone?

Confronting Gee