Relational Complexities

Human relationships are so complex in general, and then the rules change in another culture. Starting a new partnership with a blend of both Thai and Western non-Thai and some-Thai speakers is a great example of a complex set of relational rules to follow. Verbal, non-verbal communication is a challenge-you must act one way around the westerners, another way around the Thais, and if you have a Westerner attune to both Thai language and culture, you must be aware of them as well. Eye contact, body proximity, appropriate facial expressions, appropriate body language, these are important things one must keep in mind. Then there is ultra-hygiene, so important in Thailand, and appropriate dress of course. It makes my head spin.
So it goes with starting a new partnership, I am excited and I am nervous, too. I will be going to a place called The Centre 3 days a week to help take over discipleship of women there and possibly help teach English if I have time. There is quite a mish-mash of people, and I suspect they don't understand each other very well, at least I don't think the Westerners understand the Thais very well, because they don't speak Thai fluently or at all.
I found it interesting that what was explained to me in English had a very different feel than what was explained to me in Thai. It will be a while before I understand the dynamics of things and I plan to watch and listen for a while before I come to any conclusions.
In the meantime, I will be praying and hopefully helping with discipleship. I am excited that the book I love to use, Firm Foundations in Thai by Don Schlatter, is also the book they love to use.
The next question, will I wear a nice dress or jeans? How will I present myself? This will have direct bearing on how I will be perceived and received. It is not about vanity, it is about communication and relationship building.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swine Flu Amulet, anyone?

Happy Tropical Thanksgiving