Torturing our children

In another post I wrote about how Asians feel westerners neglect their children by putting them in a separate bedroom. I'll never forget the Thai's reaction to our carseats for the children. They were horrified! They felt that with the restrictive belts that forced the children to sit in one place the entire time they were in the car that a child's carseat was, indeed, a torturous device for children. One time we were going to have our child sit behind us in the car seat instead of sitting with us. My Thai friend was so angry with me, she couldn't believe that I wasn't going to sit next to my child. "How can you leave him in that seat by himself!" She got up and moved next to him. "He will be too lonely!"
One lady said, "I guess they are just used to this (torture) seat."
Finally, after seeing our children travel this way for months, years, my Thai friend said, "Wow, they actually seem happier in this seat than out of it. Maybe it's because they have their own comfortable seat?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swine Flu Amulet, anyone?

Confronting Gee