Feeling Is Not Enough

Compassion is a worthy feeling, so is concern, empathy, and a desire to make a difference. These, however, are only the beginning of what really matters, and that is our actions. It is not enough to feel compassion and empathy for someone who is suffering, or a people group who is suffering, there must be movement of our hands, mouths and feet to make a difference.
I am reminded of a short story written of a young man who visits a brothel for the first time and is horrified at what he sees. The degradation of the women moves him to great compassion and he agonizes over what he has seen and how it may be amended. After many sleepless and tormented days and nights of considering what must be done to stop such a blight, he is overwhelmed by the hopelessness of it all and gives up. What strikes me about this story is that it is often repeated in our own lives. We see injustice, we see evil, and we are horrified by it, but we are unsure of what to do, how to stop it, what difference our own little lives can make facing the giants of a fallen world system.
What to do? It is my frequent prayer that I will have ears to hear what it is that God desires me to do with my time, my days and hours, my resources, my money and possessions, my hands, mouth and feet...all gifts, all temporary, and all will come to an end sooner than I can imagine.
I am surprised sometimes at the small things He seems to ask me to do. Disciple this woman, bake these cookies, write this note, smile and listen to my children, pray, learn more Thai. Perhaps it is small tasks for a small person, not dramatic rescues, not saving the world. I am not out there with the prostitutes or in the slums. I am doing small things and dreaming of bigger things. I want to be faithful, though, as I do these things, so I will be ready if He ever calls me to do something bigger. In everything, though, there are lessons to be learned about love, obedience, and faithfulness. Some of my greatest lessons so far in life have been as I have raised my children.
To be faithful to do things, daily, for years, that I don't particularly enjoy. I feel that this is a big one. To be willing to serve as a wife, and a mother, and then as a teacher, for years, even though I am dreaming of different things in the in-between.
I am not a partcularly patient person, nor spiritual, nor anything remotely Christian, really. Yet I know everything good in my life is from Christ's intervention, and I know there is nothing as magnificent, powerful, and holy as God. I have walked with God, without God, I have asked all the questions and wandered in the wilderness. I know who I am. Getting to know God has been slower, and far more profound.
When we are presented with an opportunity, will we take it? Opportunities often present themselves in the most inconvenient, uncomfortable moments. We go along in our lives, finally on schedule, maybe even on time for the next event, and then there is this person, this situation, this moment where we must make a choice to act or not to act. The easiest thing is not to act. Acting will make us late, get someone irritated at us, throw everything off-kilter. God is so much like that, throwing us off-kilter, coming to us at the most inconvenient uncomfortable moments. Dear God, give us ears to hear, hands to act, hearts to obey.
Give me strength to do Your will today, give me strength not only to hear but to act.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swine Flu Amulet, anyone?

Confronting Gee