Cheese is Yucky

Not to me, of course, I like cheese a lot. But most Thais really hate the stuff. "Congealed cow's milk, I can't eat that!"
I tell them that it is the farang's pla ra, meaning it is something we westerners love(farang=westerner) like they love their pla-ra, or rotted, fermented fish concoction. I can't eat the stuff unless it is hidden in some strong spicy curry or something, it smells like rotted fermented fish. On the other hand, I can imagine how cheese smells to them, and how horrible the prospect of eating it might be for them.
Younger Thais are learning to like cheese, though, especially on pizza & sandwiches, crackers and snacks.
But it's still considered a bit of a feat, kind of like the farang eating their pla-ra!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swine Flu Amulet, anyone?

Confronting Gee