Thai Massage

Today I went with my friend and Thai-coworker Khrua to get an authentic ancient Thai massage. At $6 a person for an hour, it is definitely worth it, if you don't mind a little pain...Thai massage isn't for the faint-hearted!
First I change into a loose cotton outfit and lay down on a mat. The "Massage Doctor" (Moh Nuat) puts my feet together and smashes them down, one on top of the other. After a nice, firm foot massage, they apply hard pressure to my thigh to cut off the blood supply to my artery, and when I think I can't stand it anymore, they let go. Then my legs are massaged with penetrating fingers, and they ask me, "Does this hurt?" Usually I say, with teeth clenched together, "May pen ray" or "No problem." If I start squeaking they usually try to tone it down. After that they put my body into a kind of pretzel position and squish me down with their whole body weight, then they do the other side. My knuckles are popped, and so are my toes, one by one. (The first time they popped my toes I squealed with pain and surprise.) They then pound my bottom, squish my legs with their feet, and pull me up by my arms until I think something is going to snap. My back and arms are massaged, more pain, and then my arms and torso are swung around so my back pops. After that they massage my face, neck and head.
I remember the first time I had it done I wondered what on earth I'd done that for, it was so painful I didn't think it qualified to be called a massage but torture. After a while I learned to say, "Khoo baaw long nooy" ("Please do it a little softer.") Through the years, though, I kind of enjoy all the squishing, smashing, popping and blood-stopping. Okay, maybe I don't enjoy the blood-stopping too much, I've never gotten used to that.
When they are all done, though, I feel truly wonderful; stretched and relaxed.
Today I asked Khrua, in Thai of course, "Did it hurt today?" Khrua answered, "Yes, but if it didn't hurt it wouldn't feel like a real Thai massage."
True, true.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I cracked up as I read thru this one. What a hoot! Your description is priceless (excellent writing by the way). I can just hear you squeaking. I love Khrua's response.

Popular posts from this blog

Swine Flu Amulet, anyone?

Whose idea was this anyway?