The $500 Louis Viutton tsunami bag

That is the used price of one that sold on e-bay today, the same exact one my friend Gee is asking me to sell for her. She told me she's never held $250 in her possession before, let alone $500. But here she is with this bag that retails new for an astonishing $800. She can hardly believe it herself.
Here's the story:
She and her boyfriend were working at a resort when the tsunami happened. She saw people running for the hills and screaming, so she ran too, 6 months pregnant. She made it, and her baby is now 18 months, his name is Pooh Bear (nickname.) Her boyfriend was a guard at the resort before and after the tsunami, and a while after the whole thing had happened he found this bag in the mud and brought it home for her. She found a big can of olive oil and a bottle of wine in it. She used the olive oil to cook with, because she's dirt poor. Her boyfriend probably drank the wine. She cleaned the mud off the bag and started using it. She noticed, though, that people kept staring at her, even westerners. One day another Thai lady came up and offered to buy the bag for $50, a lot of money for a regular Thai person. She said she realized at that moment that maybe the bag was worth something. So she's kept it home ever since.
When she told me about it and showed me the bag, I assumed it was a fake. I looked it up on the internet, found it, and incredibly enough, it passed every possible test, and the Powerseller that wrote up the authenticity check pages was auctioning off the same exact bag. I couldn't believe it. I am really happy for Gee because she really needs the money. She is really poor. Unfortunately I have never sold anything on e-bay and am really nervous about trying to sell this thing.
Too bad the wine is gone, I bet it was expensive. I'm sure her boyfriend had no idea he was drinking a big wad of money away. I'll have to ask her about that.
Gee started working for us 3 months ago. She is a friend to me, we hit it off well together. She is Buddhist, a Southern Thai. She is going through the Bible chronologically with me and asking a lot of questions. She asked me the other day if she'd have to change her citizen card to Christian from Buddhist. I told her not to worry about that, just take her time so she understands clearly before she makes any decisions. I think she's already made some decisions in her heart, from things she has said and asked about, but I don't really know what she is putting her trust in and why. Thais often go back to Buddhism, so I am getting ready for the long haul, so to speak, of a long relationship that will see ups and downs, happy times and frustrations, to help my friend understand Jesus Christ and come to a firm conclusion on her own about what she is going to place her faith in. Our Thai friends have been talking to her as well, and we all seem to be saying similar things.
We are making a lot of very special relationships. I am very encouraged and happy to be here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swine Flu Amulet, anyone?

Confronting Gee