I'm Mistaken for a Thai housekeeper

I answered the phone and an older Thai man told me, in Thai of course, that he was the internet satellite representative and he had arrived at the falang's house (the white person's house.) I said I'd come right out and he called me "Nong" or younger, a familiar term only appropriate if I had been the Thai housekeeper. I was giggling to myself all the way out the door. When he saw me he put on his polite look and expected me to say something in English. When I started talking to him in Thai and he realized I was the same person on the phone he looked a little mortified. Then Gee came out, my Thai friend, and I told her what happened. We both laughed hysterically. It was a big faux pas on his part in this culture, and of course he lost face. All in all he took it pretty well and we all had a good laugh.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm impressed! That doesn't happen to many falangs!

Popular posts from this blog

Swine Flu Amulet, anyone?

Confronting Gee