culture shock, again

I am having bouts of culture shock...no surprise, really. I have had them since we taxied into the Thailand airport 6 years ago. Here, it is because of the Southern Thai culture. What I have appreciated all these years has been the politeness of Thai people. They have taught me so much about being polite, even when I feel irritated or preoccupied. I wonder if there is any other culture where the people are as polite and gracious as the Thai. This morning when my husband went to ask the builders next door to please stop using all our fill dirt for our driveway, again, the man just gave him a disgusted look and wouldn't even talk to him. I couldn't believe it. They have been coming over for 2 days now using the dirt the owner of our house bought for this house. Of course we asked politely in Thai.
It is going to take some time to get used to another culture. I am sure that in a couple of years I will find plenty of things to appreciate, like perhaps the honesty maybe?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swine Flu Amulet, anyone?

Santa's birthday, right?